GTK3 Indicators

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 16:07:45 UTC 2013

Yes, I followed all instructions in the link 'to the letter' .....

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2013-December/009521.html
===>
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Trusty/Gtk3Indicators

i.e.

  * sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
  * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shimmerproject/daily
  * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noskcaj/indicator-gtk3
  * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12
  * sudo apt-get update
  * sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  * sudo apt-get install indicator-power indicator-bluetooth indicator-datetime indicator-keyboard indicator-printers indicator-sound indicator-sync indicator-messages
  * sudo apt-get purge indicator-sound-gtk2 indicator-application-gtk2

Operationally, I tried both:
1 - Logout and login (installed indicators should appear after the
desktop processes for current user are started)
2 - sudo reboot

Just for fun:

  * Enabled Trusty "proposed" repository.
  * sudo apt-get update
  * sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  * sudo reboot
  * sudo apt-get update
  * sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  * Tried above operational tests again.

No dice.  Which of the PPA owners would I contact?  I need instructions
on what data to collect.  No problem for me to do another ground-up,
patching, etc. on the machine.

A caveat that may or may not make a difference (probably not) .....

Due to a current shortage of hardware here at home to test on (unusual
for me), I am testing Trusty with another Intel D2550 CedarView
motherboard (same as the last one).  Recall that Intel has abandoned
Linux driver support for CedarView (Atom 2500/2550/2600/2700/2800) and
GMA3600/3650 aka PowerVR SGX545.  This probably has no bearing on the
issue at hand and, in general, Xubuntu installation/reboot does a very
good job of kernel module "approximation" (gma500_gfx instead of i915)
and X video driver selection (modesetting).  In fact, I'd advise anyone
having a CedarView netbook, laptop, or motherboard to use the latest
Xubuntu if their interest is to operate a Linux or Unix OS.  But, it
does make me think twice about reporting bugs with this rig.

Richard