Trusty Extras

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 16:19:14 UTC 2013

Elfy,

I agree with you about "Extras" (barely bother.....").  However, a
newbie following forum advice about how to get the latest
DVD/CSS/Java/whatever might install ubuntu-restricted-extras and get a
404.  That is a lousy way of finding out no-can-do, yes?  It's also a
weird surprise for non-newbies.

Assumption: ubuntu-restricted-extras will eventually be permitted for a
given release.  True?
My (cheap) suggestion, then, would be one of the following:
1 - Clone the Extras from the previous release (Saucy, in this case).
2 - If Extras are not yet desirable during a testing cycle, create an
empty Extras repo.
3 - If Extras are not yet desirable during a testing cycle, create
ubuntu-restricted-extras in the testing repo that simply causes a simple
notification to that effect  to be shown during installation attempts.

I don't care which approach is used or another one that I haven't
thought of.  I just do not like errno=2 or 404 surprises.

Richard