Bug #1208204 - "indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin"

Bruno Benitez gridcube at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 17:33:12 UTC 2013

Hello Richard, as I understand from the meetings we have held , if there is
enough need of it our developers can make a fix through the backport
channel.
http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/xubuntu-devel/2013/xubuntu-devel.2013-11-03-22.39.log.html#l-41

It is very sad that we have this issue in first place, but control over
sound was available and lots of tutorials on how to fix it where also
available, if users would abandon just for this cause there is no much else
we can do. They would not want to use the backport channel either.

In any case the fix for the plugin indicators will be included in 14.04 and
it will be an LTS, so that would be the recommended solution to anyone,
just wait a few months
.

2013/12/4 Richard Elkins <richard.elkins at gmail.com>

> Ubuntu Desktop team,
>
> I know that everyone is busy and Unity probably has a higher priority
> than XFCE.  However, there are a lot of XFCE users in the Ubuntu family
> of distros (E.g. Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio).  They really need help with
> the subject bug.
>
> Developers and other command-line users can employ the patch provided in
> message #69 of that bug report (automates the work-around) or they can
> manually re-apply the patch indicated in message #5; they can also grab
> the 14.04 version of the package and try that too.  On the other hand,
> pure desktop users are a bit gun-shy of using a terminal window or
> straying away from the normal mode of package maintenance.
>
> A lot of criticism has been expressed about this bug not yet being fixed
> (over 4 months old).  Some XFCE users are apparently abandoning Saucy
> and going back to wherever they came from.
>
> Can we get some traction for our XFCE users on this bug?
>
> Thank you for your consideration,
>
> Richard aka texadactyl at launchpad

Bruno.-