User feedback for Xubuntu QA meeting on Sunday, 17th of June 2012

Dave dave.hills.2009 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 10:16:39 UTC 2012

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:23:14 +0300
> From: Janne Jokitalo <astraljava at kapsi.fi>
> To: xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com, xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Xubuntu QA meeting on Sunday, 17th of June 2012
>
> Hi gang,
>
> this upcoming Sunday (17th of June) we're having the first QA process
> development meeting for Xubuntu flavor. As a new QA lead, I'm interested in
> enhancing the way we're assuring that the product we're building during the
> development cycle performs at its best, preferably even during the development.
> For this, I'm looking to see assistance from all interested parties. That means
> YOU, too. :)
>
> For starters, we have already begun the refining of testcases [0] for ISO
> images. There are other work items currently on-going as well, and you can
> follow the progress of them at [1]. If there's anything you'd like to discuss
> about, the upcoming meeting is a perfect, but not the only, occasion to do that.
> At any time, you can address me or anyone from the Xubuntu Team about anything
> you have on your mind by chatting on our development IRC channel [2] or by
> writing to our development mailing list [3]
>
> Other things relating to the quality that I'd like to see getting improvements
> over this cycle are:
>
>   * Boot-time speed-up
>   * Compositor usage
>
> Currently these don't have specific blueprints, but we can either do something
> about that, or keep working on the issues despite the lack of such. We can also
> talk about this in the meeting, provided enough knowledgeable people are
> present. If not, I'll raise the issue with other leads with the outcome of the
> meeting.
>
> The list above does not by any means limit the topics of the conversation, but I
> do like to stress that this meeting isn't about adding new features or functions
> to the product that we're building. Its aim is to find issues, viewpoints and
> details that can be improved in the already existing components, or the
> integration of them. The development team, however, is always willing to discuss
> topics outside the scope of this meeting in our already mentioned forums, so
> feel free to raise any issues, throw in wishes and hopes that you may have, but
> please do it on any other time than during this meeting. :)
>
> But without further ado, I hope to see enthusiastic people willing to contribute
> to the quality of our fine flavor on Sunday. The meeting takes place on our
> development IRC channel [2], and you can check the exact time at [4]. Welcome!
>
> [0]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Testing/Short
> [1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-q-xubuntu-qa-procedures
> [2]: #xubuntu-devel @ irc.freenode.net
> [4]:
> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Xubuntu+QA+meeting&iso=20120617T16&ah=1&am=30

> [...]

Hi,

I'm a new Xubuntu user (switch from Ubuntu-Unity) and would like to try
and contribute, I'm not a software developer but think I could help with
feedback as a user on the quality of the product and the quality of my
'user experience'. I have a Lenovo Netbook and an AM64 3200 based
desktop. I have 3 hard disks for my Netbook which I swap out to try
releases and creating partitions on my desktop is never a problem. Here
is some feedback on my Xubuntu 12.04 experience, I didn't want to clog
Launchpad with things which are my opinion so this forum is probably a
good place for the developers to pick up anything worth while or direct
me to raise it as a bug/improvement request.

User Quality discussion points:

     1. During the install here were no User icons to chose from, you
        can only take a web-cam snap shot. A few icons to chose from
        would be good.

     2. The default screen saver and standby times are too short 10min
        and 15 min, it was unnerving for the screen to go blank during
        the install process. I have a particular HW issue that meant if
        a left the install unattended I could not recover from standby
        and had to restart the install process. I suggest screen saver
        30min and standby 40 min defaults would be better.

     3. In use on my Netbook it was noticeable that when operating from
        battery, my hard-disk spun down immediately after use. This made
        Xubuntu sluggish to use and also there was a worrying mechanical
        noise from my hard-disk every time it was needed. I'm not sure
        spinning down the hard-disk in this fashion actually saves power
        as the torque/power required to spin it up may be more that that
        required to keep it spinning at a constant speed. I would
        suggest a option is proved to spin down hard-disks or not with a
        time setting.

     4. On completion of the 12.04 release install there were 108
        updates to install ! This raises a question in the Users mind
        regarding the quality of the release ISO ? Are the ISOs for
        download maintained/ kept up to date ?

Xubuntu Product Quality feedback:

     1. The current release failed to install properly “language
        support”. There was an error window pop up on reboot. I presumed
        this had been picked up during the formal testing.

     2. I selected the encrypt home partition option during an install
        last week and although a window dialogue box popped up post
        install, this was behind the “language support” window and went
        away when I dismissed the “language support” window. I've not
        researched how to activate the encrypt home partition yet.

     3. I had a crash post install of my Broadcom wireless driver, there
        was already bug report logged, added affects me too.

     4. I would suggest a home partition is implemented as default
        during for the install.

     5. I would suggest old N-1 Kernel images and related files are
        deleted during an upgrade. The “synaptic package manager” method
        to remove them is not newbie or family member friendly. Over a
        long period time they can occupy a significant amount of
        hard-disk space.

Best regards

Dave