Desktop backgrounds and theme

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Tue Apr 10 13:34:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 05:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
Gustavo R Leal <gustavo.leal at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> I would like to suggest a more colorful set of desktop backgrounds. The all blue and grey theme is nice for the defaults, but changing the background is one of the first things almost every user do.
>
> I think we need themes like nature, landscapes, plants, abstract and they should have a good balance of the color spectrum, including reds, yellows and greens (not all at the same time necessarily).

Yes, this has been a target for the 12.04 release, but since we started to discuss a different default set of wallpapers upstream with Xfce devs it kinda got delayed. One problem of the wallpapers is that they take valuable space and as long as we follow the paradigm of live CDs (max ~700mb) for our images space will always remain an issue.
Anyway, I agree that we should search for resolutions for this (maybe for 12.10) – gathering the wallpapers is obviously the "easy" part of the plan.

> Let's not repeat what LinuxMint did with the green. Their theme is nice at first sight, but it looks like the blue pixels of LCD screen are all burned out.

Yeah, I never found the green very comforting for daily use. Actually all colours start to be annoying to me, that's why I created Greybird with very subtle colours after having used Bluebird for one release.

All the best,
Simon