Uprade to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Tue Apr 3 08:38:50 UTC 2012

(reversed top-posting)

On 04/02/2012 06:08 PM, nairb wrote:
> On 04/01/2012 05:32 AM, Josef Latt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I upgraded my Xubuntu 11.10 for testing to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2.
>> But some programs which I have deinstalled in 11.10 (abiword,
>> gnumeric, pidgin, gigolo, ...) were installed too during the upgrade.
>>
>> Think this shouldn't happen.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Josef
>>
> this is a feature, not a bug.  when you update, it reinstalls every
> package on your system (or that should be included in your system
> because they are required by other packages).  starting with
> meta-packages such as xubuntu-desktop, which requires abiword, gnumeric,
> pidgin, gigolo, ect... if you want different default applications, then
> you should uninstall the meta-packages that require them before upgrade.
> if you are using the default applications of ubuntu-desktop or
> kubuntu-desktop, you should just use their respective installers, and
> you dont really want xubuntu. you can install multiple window managers
> without the whole desktop meta-package, so you could still use xfce
> without full xubuntu-desktop. but the packages mentioned are all part of
> xubuntu, and required by the meta-package xubuntu-desktop.

Yes, it is a feature, unless the user has previously removed any of the
packages which xubuntu-desktop is depending on. If you remove Abiword,
which is a 'depends' for xubuntu-desktop, it will effectively also
remove the xubuntu-desktop package.

Can't remember I've heard this happening with updgrade to 12.04 though.
I'll make somebody to look at it, at least briefly.

Pasi

Leader of Xubuntu and Shimmer Project       » http://shimmerproject.org/