Uprade to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2

nairb nairb at nairb.us
Mon Apr 2 15:08:05 UTC 2012

this is a feature, not a bug.  when you update, it reinstalls every
package on your system (or that should be included in your system
because they are required by other packages).  starting with
meta-packages such as xubuntu-desktop, which requires abiword, gnumeric,
pidgin, gigolo, ect... if you want different default applications, then
you should uninstall the meta-packages that require them before upgrade.
if you are using the default applications of ubuntu-desktop or
kubuntu-desktop, you should just use their respective installers, and
you dont really want xubuntu. you can install multiple window managers
without the whole desktop meta-package, so you could still use xfce
without full xubuntu-desktop. but the packages mentioned are all part of
xubuntu, and required by the meta-package xubuntu-desktop.