top 10 FAQ for Xubuntu site

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Mon Jun 20 20:51:01 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 11:06 PM, Bruno Benitez wrote:
> Hello to all, hope you are having a very nice day.
>
> First of all thanks to all the people who makes xubuntu, I always
> find  this to be one of the greatest linux distros I've tried. So
> Thank You All.
>

> Now to business, as I've proposed on the #xubuntu-devel channel I
> would like if Xubuntu had a "Top 10 FAQ", Why? because I feel that if
> a new user comes to an absolute new OS and finds out he can't listen
> his music he might go and say, "What?!" and then leave, but if he
> would come and see that what he has just installed says to them "Here,
> check this top 10 questions to get you started", then he would feel
> welcome and will most probably stay.
I actually wrote a similar list for 9.04, but main emphasis on
problems/bugs rather than actions. You can read that on my blog [1].

I also wrote an article about getting support [2], which I think could
be used as a base for something similar to use alongside the "Top 10 FAQ".

> So I'm proposing this possible, not demandatory, and not even 10,
> questions, in no particular order either:
>
> /How to listen music and play video?
> /
We are soon going to have an interactive tutorial on the default music
player, gmusicbrowser, on the Shimmer Project site [3]. This
documentation will be posted to Planet Ubuntu, and is definitely free to
use.

Video playing should be pretty straightforward, but maybe we could point
the users to the applications. One thing that is problematic here is the
codecs. Telling users to install xubuntu-restricted-extras fixes this,
but somehow I can't make it sound good in my head to tell this in a "how
to get started" -style FAQ.
> /How to install video drivers?
> /
Aren't these supposed to be installed automatically?
> /How to turn sound?
> /
Sound on, or change the volume?
> /How to play DVD's?
> /
Again, the codec issue. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as
playing videos.
> /How to enable Compiz? (/this is a really usual question on #xubuntu/)
> /
This is a common question, but AFAIK we don't really support Xfce and
Compiz, so it sounds awkward to list this on the FAQ. Posting blog
entries about this in personal blogs and then pointing to them might be
a good way. There even is some articles about this already, I think.
> /How does one move panels? (/this might sound silly, but many people
> have asked this at least once, me included/)
> /
I think this should belong in a Xfce tutorial, which the Xubuntu
community could also write, and which could be linked to from the FAQ
> /How to add new themes?
> /
Adding new themes is easy, but many times users want to install a Gnome
theme (metacity window borders). We might not want to tell a user that
he can't do something in our "Top 10 FAQ"
> /Why don't wallpapers stay listed on the xfdesktop-settings?
> /
2 comments up; Xfce tutorial.

> I am also proposing this to be 10 FAQ because that would make them
> easy to mantain, and easy to translate to many languages by those
> people interested on to it, like me.
In order for it to be easily maintainable in terms of translations not
getting too old, the FAQ items should probably be as short as possible,
without sacrificing clarity.

> Well thats all i guess, have a good day.
>

> --
> Bruno.-

[1]
http://open.knome.fi/2009/07/05/panels-disappearing-and-other-frequently-asked-questions/