Replacing GIMP

Kristian Rink kawazu at zimmer428.net
Tue Jul 26 13:29:01 UTC 2011

Am Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:19:53 +0300
schrieb Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni at gmail.com>:

> I think eog is not bad, it does not use very much RAM, but it is not
> as responsive and does not have as much features as geeqie, which BTW
> recommends imagemagick.

I wonder what kind of features a "default" image viewer should provide?
Rationale: On each of my boxes, apart from having gimp (which still is
my favorite and #1 image processing tool), I end up with installing
gthumb these days even on Xubuntu. Why? Because so far I haven't found
a straightforward and lightweight image viewer that nicely fits into
the XFCE user interface and allows for easy and quick scaling of
digital images downloaded off my camera. imagemagick surely can do so
but it doesn't really have a pleasant UI. ;) I'd easily and quickly go
with eog, ristretto, gpicview or any of these if they were capable of
providing this feature - this is the only feature I use in there which
makes me feel bad for having to wait for Gimp to start up.

Cheers,
Kristian