Replacing GIMP

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Mon Jul 25 19:18:12 UTC 2011

On 07/25/2011 08:23 PM, Bruno Benitez wrote:
> I do know that there is no such "standard image editor" but if we
> never start finding one, or adding one to our apps then we will never
> have one, I think there should be a "standard image editor"
> (pinta/gpaint/nathive <http://www.nathive.org/>/other) a "professional
> image editor" (GIMP/others) and then we could have "Image viewers"
> whit some "editing capabilities" (gpicview/gthumb).  I do not propose
> Pinta directly, It looks awesome in my opinion, but it does depend a
> lot on Mono, so if its choosen it wont ment a huge space saver either...
>
> --
> Bruno.-

Jarno and Bruno,

please focus your energy in creating the application comparison. A few
good points to include would be:

1. What features do we expect an image editor to have, at least?
2. What do you think is the learning curve for the different editors?
3. How light are the applications?
4. How mature are they in development?

Looking at the history of application comparisons and proposals in
Xubuntu, it seems that there is a high possibility to get change in the
defaults, as long as you are willing to work for it, and the
rationalizing is sufficient.

Cheers,
Pasi

P.S. (Just a personal preference:) Let's try to bottom-post (not
top-post) in the future, as it makes following the threads (especially
authors of mails) easier in the long run. Thanks!

--
Pasi Lallinaho                              » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project               » http://shimmerproject.org/