Add Gnote as a note-taking application

A. C. Censi accensi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:12:56 UTC 2010

Regarding my question about Gnome dependencies some days ago, further
research shows that current Karmic/Lucid packaging has Gnome
dependencies:

- in Ubuntu package dependencies list, those libs are there
libpanel-applet2-0 (>= 2.26.0)
   library for GNOME Panel applets
libpanelappletmm-2.6-1c2 (>= 2.22.0)
   C++ wrappers for libpanel-applet (shared library)

Also see this Debian Debian Bug report logs - #566670
gnote: Please ship the Gnome panel plugin in a separate binary package

ACC

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:50:31 -0600
> Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Steve Dodier <sidnioulz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Tomboy is mono based and would take quite a lot of room on the cd.
> > >
> > > just like that, what is the discoverability of the note taking app? How
> > > many users know about it? What do xfce note users think about it?
> > >
> > > I would rather spend time trying to identify and address short comings in
> > > the xfce app rather than having another upstream for such a tiny component.
> > >

> > Installing Tomboy required 32mb of downloads.  I forgot to check the
> > installed disk space, but 32mb is too much.  It used ~11.5mb of RAM on
> > startup.
> >
> > I'm not sure what Steve means about discoverability of the Xfce app, but
> > with regards to the shortcomings of the xfce app . . .  I don't think it's a
> > bad app.  I just think gnote is better.  Regarding another upstream . . .  I
> > guess that is somewhat of a maintenance issue.  I'm not sure how problematic
> > others may find the "another upstream" to be.
> >
> > Jim
>
> I attempted to migrate my tomboy notes to gnote today. There is a gnote
> add-on listed as enabled for that. Unfortunately, it does not do
> anything. I had to manually copy 57 notes over. Also, I looked in the
> help pages, and there is supposed to be a tab in preferences to
> synchronise between systems. That tab seems to be missing in lucid.
>
> Perhaps these are Gnome only addins? It seems like some functionality
> is missing when trying to use this application in Xubuntu without gnome
> installed. It might be missing with Gnome installed, I don't intend to
> install Gnome to find out.
>
> --
> Charlie Kravetz
> Linux Registered User Number 425914          [http://counter.li.org/]
> Never let anyone steal your DREAM.           [http://keepingdreams.com]

A. C. Censi
accensi [em] gmail [ponto] com
accensi [em] montreal [ponto] com [ponto] br