xfce4-panel 4.7.x upload(ed) in natty

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 4 15:26:42 UTC 2010

Hi there,

I'm going to upload xfce4-panel 4.7.5 in natty (well, it will probably
be already uploaded when you read this mail ;).

It provides many new features and bugfixes that should close most of the
existing issues (disappearing panels, no d'n'd, no randr 1.2 support).
However, a few ABI changes have been introduced, so existing panel
plugins have to be rebuilt to work with this new release. This will be
done in the next days (if you want to help on that, feel free to get in
touch with me and pick an item on [1]). However, if you have manually
compiled some plugins, you will have to rebuild them by yourself,
otherwise they will seem to have disappeared (and your
~/.xsession-errors will be full of warnings about that).

In the meantime, if your package manager in natty says that some
packages are "on hold", this is normal: it will prevent the panel
upgrade as long as one 'not-rebuilt-yet' plugin is installed and no
rebuilt version is available. If you decide nonetheless to force the
upgrade, it will probably propose you to uninstall all old plugins.
Obviously, if you decided not to wait, please don't file bugs about
uninstalled panel plugins.

You can use [1] to track progress (I try to keep it up-to-date), or the
weekly meetings' minutes ("technical" entry at [2]). I'll also send
another mail when it's safe to upgrade and file bugs again. ;)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Lionel

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Natty/Xfce4.8
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33  F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A