Xubuntu website for 9.10

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 28 01:52:19 GMT 2009

Hey,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:

> Jim Campbell wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > These discussions may have occurred on IRC (in which case, I have
> > missed them), but are things ready on the Xubuntu website for the 9.10
> > release?  Steve Langasek has prepared an Ubuntu release announcement
> > that points to a Xubuntu page at: http://xubuntu.org/news/9.10-release
> >
> > As a reference, the release candidate announcement (Thanks, Cody,
> > Vincent and Slaai!) is available here:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/KarmicKoala/RC

I've started our release announcement at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/KarmicKoala/Release

It still needs a lot of work. Once the release occurs, Vincent (or another
website editor) will copy the contents of the page to the website.

> No, we are lacking these as well as the release artwork. I'll try to
> come up with something for tomorrow regarding the artwork.

Great, thanks!

> Unfortunately our sprint for the Karmic release hasn't been as good as
> one might have hoped for. To be honest, I think there are several
> glitches we just let go in Karmic, because nothing as magical as with
> Jaunty happened this time. Maybe it was time to keep a quieter release
> after our fantastic 9.04!

I agree with this assessment. Some releases are more noisy and energetic
then others. Its also true that there are a few bugs that I would have liked
to have gotten fixed and which will probably be SRU candidates. All around
including the other derivatives I think karmic introduces a lot of great
features, great bug fixes, but also introduces a number of feature
regressions and new bugs. This is necessary to make progress unfortunately.

Lastly, I think we've come closer together as a team and have learned how to
better work with each other. Theres a lot of value to that and I think Lucid
will be an absolutely amazing LTS release as a result.

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer