Karmic Spec: Thunderbird Vs. Claws (Michele Mor)

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Fri May 15 12:12:27 UTC 2009

Robert Freeman-Day wrote:
> I will say there is key setup and management for the enigmail plugin
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Specifications/Karmic/ThunderbirdVsClaws#Encryption).
> If you go to the OpenPGP menu, you should see an item called "Key
> Management" and I personally found it quite useful for dipping my toe
> into GPG.

True, thanks for pointing that out. I even realised that the plugin is in the universe
repositories. Maybe I'll update the comparison.

> That being said, you have convinced me to make another go of Claws.

Then I guess all the work was worth it :)

Michele Mor wrote:
> since this comparison was made in order to decide which application would be part of
> Karmic, I think you should have tried Thunderbird 3 (beta).

Well, to be honest I there's no consistent behaviour in Ubuntu as to when they include a
beta release. It's not yet in the Karmic repos and as far as I can see there's not even a
debian-package, only a binary one (which I tested). I just don't think it's the same to
test an early beta release from a binary than to test a package that has already
undergone some testing.
So in a way I think it would have been less fair to compare Thunderbird 3 beta2 with
Claws stable.

(Btw, what would be the significant changes from version 2 to 3 that you think are
really messing up the comparison?)

Regards,
Simon