Karmic Spec: Thunderbird Vs. Claws (Michele Mor)

Robert Freeman-Day presgas at gmail.com
Fri May 15 13:53:22 UTC 2009

I just tried Claws and some plugins from the repos and the version of
Claws seems to be newer than the plugins built (Ubu 9.04).  Did you run
into that during testing?  If this situation is common, unfortunately I
don't think it should be considered as a default client.  Looks real
nice so far though!

Simon Steinbeiß wrote:
> Robert Freeman-Day wrote:
>> I will say there is key setup and management for the enigmail plugin
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Specifications/Karmic/ThunderbirdVsClaws#Encryption).
>> If you go to the OpenPGP menu, you should see an item called "Key
>> Management" and I personally found it quite useful for dipping my toe
>> into GPG.
> True, thanks for pointing that out. I even realised that the plugin is in the universe
> repositories. Maybe I'll update the comparison.
>> That being said, you have convinced me to make another go of Claws.
> Then I guess all the work was worth it :)
> Michele Mor wrote:
>> since this comparison was made in order to decide which application would be part of
>> Karmic, I think you should have tried Thunderbird 3 (beta).
> Well, to be honest I there's no consistent behaviour in Ubuntu as to when they include a
> beta release. It's not yet in the Karmic repos and as far as I can see there's not even a
> debian-package, only a binary one (which I tested). I just don't think it's the same to
> test an early beta release from a binary than to test a package that has already
> undergone some testing.
> So in a way I think it would have been less fair to compare Thunderbird 3 beta2 with
> Claws stable.
> (Btw, what would be the significant changes from version 2 to 3 that you think are
> really messing up the comparison?)
> Regards,
> Simon

- --