Jaunty Artwork

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Fri Mar 6 21:04:57 UTC 2009

Vincent wrote:

> [...]
>     > so big on the page, but so nicely integrated.
>     >
>     > Have we settled on an icon, gtk, or xfwm theme yet?  In regards
>     to the
>     > GTK theme, Murrina Storm Cloud is nice looking, but it seems we have
>     > used it for the past 3 or 4 releases.  It would be nice for a change
>     > if we can find a suitable replacement.  As for xfwm4 themes, I like
>     > Xfce 4.6's default xfwm4 theme.
>     >
>     > Again, great work!  =)
>     >
>     > Jim
>     > </statements of personal impressions and preferences>
>     Hi Jim and everybody,
>
>     here's some comments about GTK+, icon and xfwm themes.
>
>     GTK+ THEME
>
>     I've also talked about the GTK+ theme selection. On
>     http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-gtk/ you can see screenshots from
>     MurrinaStormCloud and Murrina-Tangoesque. I think *Cloud is nice
>     looking, but is a bit too contrasted. The contrast on *Tangoesque is
>     fine for me, but might be too uncontrasted for many. Something between
>     these would be perfect (that's only my opinion) - either of them
>     is fine
>     for me otherwise.
>
>     Both the themes have the problem that the scrollbar is *way* too light
>     for the window borders. Maybe we can just adjust this color and the
>     color of the window borders to fit the background.
>
>     What comes about changing a theme, we might be a bit late on the
>     release
>     cycle. I also don't have any experience on GTK+ themes, so maybe
>     in Karmic?
>
>     Anyway, I suggest some action on this and totally want any
>     feedback and
>     all of your opinions.
>
>     ICON THEME
>
>     I've suggested Gnome-brave (see
>     http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562)
>     as the icon set (also referring to our discussion at UDS!), but there
>     hasn't been any further conversation on the subject.
>
>     I need your comments on this as well.
>
>     XFWM THEME
>
>     I'm using the "Default" in Xubuntu Jaunty and I'm totally satisfied
>     this. You are allowed to disagree. Please do tell any negative
>     feelings
>     out loud, if you have some issues with this.
>
>     I repeat once more; please do express any concerns, visions, comments
>     and agreement noises!
>

> I love the wallpaper and GDM theme (I would go for #2 as well). The
> Jaunty xfwm4 theme looked good too.
>
> The GNOME-Colors was (IIRC) already decided to be the icon theme a
> long while ago, but was never packaged. Luckily, someone has now
> picked up packaging, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/261988
>
> By the way, perhaps we should also look at refreshing the Usplash
> theme (and get rid of that odd reflection on the logo, which is the
> old logo anyway)? And perhaps even the logo on the LiveCD.

Hi Vincent,

you're right about the Usplash theme. That totally need refreshing. Now
I only need somebody to push an image to the Usplash package, because I
have no clue on how to do that. :)

We're also updating the images in Yelp to be Xubuntu specific
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-doc/+bug/332687).

Thanks for the update on GNOME-Colors, I'll subscribe to the bug to see
what's going on (though it doesn't look as good as it might be).

I have to admit that I don't know what you are meaning by the LiveCD
logo, but yes, we definitely want to change that too (because it's most
possibly outdated anyway). I can get back to this once I can download
images somehow quickly (I'm *still* connecting through Bluetooth+phone).

Any other as good (and worse also :P) notes are still welcome.