Idea for Lucid (and beyond..)

J. Anthony Limon j at flippo.net
Sat Dec 5 18:19:01 UTC 2009

Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> (I stripped some parts to reduce the size of the mail ;)
>
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 03:41:03PM +0200, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>>> On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 09:05:45 +0100
>>> Steve Dodier <sidnioulz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

> There is enough room on the livecd anyway. I think that we *have to*
> switch to software-center for lucid, because gnome-app-install has
> already been demoted from main to universe in karmic (which means that
> Canonical folks don't want to support it anymore, and since they were
> the only ones touching it…).

> We have already xfce4-cpugraph-plugin, xfce4-systemload-plugin,
> xfce4-netload-plugin and xfce4-taskmanager. The fact that gnome devs
> decided to make a single program (gnome-system-monitor) for that doesn't
> imply that we should blindly do the same.
>
> (Anyway, I've no strong opinion on this, I think htop is the best one.
> :P)

> The issue with mplayer, vlc, or any ffmpeg related player, is that they
> can't be shipped on a live cd (decision of the TB).
>
> About the missing codecs, I think any gstreamer-based player will be
> handled by gnome-codec-install without problem (this is the case for
> totem currently, so it might work fine for parole as well).

>>> I do NOT want to look for a firefox replacement and the issues it will
>>> bring into an LTS release. That belongs in the regular release, perhaps
>>> lucid +1. Lucid as an LTS needs to be as solid as we can make it. It is
>>> not the release to test what we can in, but rather, the release to fix
>>> what we can in.
>>>
>> I have to agree with Charlie here. Changing the default browser to
>> something not Firefox in an LTS release would really make our users mad,
>> even if it was working. And at this time, I'm not sure if midori is even
>> working fairly enough.
>
> Indeed, there are lots of possible changes:
> 1/ xfce 4.6 -> 4.8
> 2/ brasero -> xfburn
> 3/ totem -> parole
> 4/ gnome-system-monitor -> xfce4-taskmanager, xfce4-*-plugin
> 5/ gnome-app-install -> software-center
> 6/ gnome-screensaver -> xscreensaver
> 7/ firefox -> midori
>
> As lucid is a LTS, I think we should focus on the most "safe" ones: 5/
> and 6/. Keeping gnome-screensaver is dangerous (who knows what stupid
> ideas will gnome developers have for lucid? -- currently in karmic,
> there's no screen locking without gnome-session); I consider
> gnome-app-install as "unmaintained upstream", so we shouldn't keep it
> either.
>
> Cheers,
> Lionel

Software Center seems OKAY, as long as it's easily removed (hehe) - but
it seems to suffer from the same issues as gnome-app-install in that it
only shows a small percentage of what is in the repositories.

I also think it's a shame that gnome-app-install made it into Xubuntu
9.10 as it ships with a fairly major bug (no icons displayed for the
categories).

- J