Xubuntu team direction

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:50:49 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Although I was only there for two of the days, and Cody was sick for one of
those two days, Cody and I we were able to meet during UDS, and talk about
possible plans for the 10.04 release of Xubuntu.

Of course we talked about some of the regular topics (and I'll have a
separate email about those), but I wanted to separate out a key component of
our plans from any discussions about regular distro-related issues.
Specifically, we need to talk about team leadership and team member roles.

As you know, after several releases as the project lead for Xubuntu, Cody
wants to step down and assume the role of a regular contributor.  I spoke
briefly with Daniel Holbach while at UDS, and the community council would
prefer that we attempt to come to a decision as a group instead of just
bringing the matter to the community council.  It makes sense, as we should
be self-directed rather than dependent on an outside group to come to a
decision that we may not like (and that may not work for us).

With that, it's really up to us to decide how we handle the transition.  Do
we want to continue to have a singular project leader?  If so, what
responsibilities would that entail, and who could that be?  If we choose not
to go that route, or if no one wishes to assume that role, could a group of
people assume particular leadership roles?  What could this look like?

We need to decide this as a community, so please share your thoughts.  What
would be best for Xubuntu?  What would you like to see?  What concerns do
you have, and how could those concerns be addressed?  What role(s) would you
be willing and able to assume?  Feel free to share any other questions or
thoughts.

Thanks very much,

Jim