Feature Freeze approaching

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:14:21 UTC 2009

Considering this bug, we need to make sure that the default behaviour is :
- when resuming from suspend / hibernate or when resuming from volunteer
screen lock, the user is prompted his/her password regardless of whether
automatic login is activated.

Cody, does PolicyKit include such things as when the screen should be locked
? If so, the problem should fix itself once we implemented proper PolicyKit
support in xfce4-session / power-manager, which is something I think we will
work on Karmic+1.

Regarding the screensaver, gnome-screensaver now depends on gnome-session,
and if this can not be fixed, it should be dropped ASAP. And I think that it
would be more profitable to try to make xscreensaver's dialog better (that
is to say fix system theming + a11y issues) than to keep gnome-screensaver,
because :
- the xscreensaver author, of which g-screensaver is a fork, claims that
g-screensaver may not be secure
- xscreensaver is maintained by someone who is interested in a stable,
secure and cross-platform screensaver, while g-screensaver is maintained by
developers who primarily address the needs of the GNOME users, sometimes
regardless of the needs of other users of particular software. While I can
perfectly understand that, it means future releases of gnome software are
always less reliable than from other authors (this reminds me of a blogpost
that i unfortunately lost, from a GNOME developer stating that GNOME needs
to learn to take the habit to say when they do changes that can have bad
consequences for their users, which they currently don't and which you learn
of once things are there).

2009/8/21 Jarno Suni <jarno.suni at iki.fi>

> Hi
>
> I suggest that you make tray icon default whatever power manager is
> chosen; by that you can suspend/hibernate so that screen is locked in
> resume. (See also
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-session/+bug/121737)
> xfce4-power-manager (0.6.2) is better in that it can launch whatever
> locking utility determined in xflock4. gnome-power-manager can lock by
> gnome-screensaver only (and needs the respective daemon running).
>
> xinitrc prefers to start xscreensaver daemon, if it is installed
> (instead of gnome-screensaver daemon). IHMO it would be better to
> change that to prevent from surprises in Xfce session after user
> installs xscreensaver (by installing e.g. lxde besides
> xubuntu-desktop). That is: patch xinitrc to start certain Xubuntu's
> default screensaver daemon, even if both xscreensaver and
> gnome-screensaver are installed. I vote for gnome-screensaver;
> xscreensaver seems to show too much (=some pop-up messages) even in
> locked state and has less features.
>
> My experiences are from Xubuntu 9.04.
>
> I am not a member in the mailing list.
>
> --
> Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
> Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.
> Please use a XHTML compliant web browser.

Steve Dodier