Testers needed for Alpha 6

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Sep 18 22:53:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:53:34 -0300
"Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
>  We need testers for the Alpha 6 candidate pronto or it won't be released!
> Please visit http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Cody A.W. Somerville
> Software Systems Release Engineer
> Custom Engineering Solutions Group
> Canonical OEM Services
> Cell: 506-449-5899
> Email: cody.somerville at canonical.com

Installed using Intrepid-alternate-cd, but was unable to obtain a
static network connection. Using Network Manager, as soon as the DHCP
(automatic) is unchecked, the OK button greys out and does not allow
use regardless of which items I fill in. Since I use only a static IP
on my system, I could not obtain an internet connection. (Bug 185854)

The ubuntu usplash screen is still in use. (Bug 261340)

If the instructions for GRUB installation to the hard drive is
followed, using /dev/hda7 caused a fatal error. Since ubuntu and
derivatives now use SCSI drive lettering, I had to use /dev/sda7 to
install GRUB, even though the instructions at that point state that sd?
drives are iSCSI only.

I also appeared to have stalled during the installation, during Select
and Install Software. When it it 6%, the system stalled for about 9
minutes before continuing, perhaps because it was searching for the
internet? Doing Ctrl-Alt-F4, the last three items listed were:

	Sep 18 20:51:58 kernel: [ 1076.132321 ] cdrom: sr0: mrw address
space DMA selected

	Sep 18 20:51:59 kernel: [ 1077.164710 ] ISO 9660 Extensions:
Microsoft Joliet Level 3

	Sep 18 20:51:59 kernel: [ 1077.220354 ] ISO 9660 Extensions
RRIP_1991 A

At 21:01, the system moved to 7% and continued without stalling again.

- --
Charlie Kravetz