Community Meeting updates

Chris Francy francyci at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 08:09:22 UTC 2008

> For those who don't know, a quick overview can be read at [1], the meetin log can be read at [2].
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings/Archive/Minutes/2008-07-12
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Xubuntu_2008-07-12

> [16:11] <cody-somerville> Who has tried that fusesmb hack?
> [16:13] <cody-somerville> Might we could do is have fusesmb mount on login configured with their credentials, etc. etc.
> [16:12] <cody-somerville> j1mc, although I couldn't write to share but I dunno if that was fusesmb or how the share's configuration

I have used the fusesmb for network browsing.

Installing by default worries me a bit.  With fusesmb you have to
store the unencrypted smb passwords in a text file for it to work.

On the system where I use fusesmb I have dm-crypt setup for all my
filesystems.  So having my passwords unencrypted in the filesystem
isn't as big of an issue since the entire partition is encrypted.   I
don't think most people use whole-disk encryption though.  So it seems
like users should be warned/reminded about the possibility that anyone
with a livecd could steal there authentication credentials.