gnome apps

Jérôme Guelfucci jerome.guelfucci at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:34:15 UTC 2008

I know I've not been very diplomatic. Well the point is that this
mailing list DOESN'T represent the Xubuntu community. The decisions
that were taken during the Gutsy development cycle were validated
because you and two or three members of the mailing list wanted this,
this is at least how I feel it.

On the Ubuntu French Forums, the feedbacks I had is that people are
using Xubuntu because it's light, it's a godd alternative to Gnome,
BUT many of them were disappointed because Xubuntu 7.10 is tto heavy
and moved to things like Fluxbuntu, or removed the xubuntu-desktop
package to keep xfce only stuff, and choose apps they wanted.

Now that we moved to Universe, we have the opportunity to build a
Xubuntu identity, to have our own applications easily, without filing
MIR all the time. I think it's unfair to say that those applications
are unmaintained (xfmedia will be removed soon :) ), and buggy, they
seem to work fine for most users. We have backported a lot of stuff to
our ppa, XFCE 4.4.2, squeeze, ristretto, and we received very positive
feedback from the community.

I recognize it could have been announced on the mailing list or on
IRC, but the few time I've spent on this list shows me that most of
those posts become ~ a XFCE/GNOME flamewar.

If you have some particular wishes, don't hesitate to file a bug
report/blueprint.

Jérôme