Xubuntu documentation & the new website

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 23 04:54:09 UTC 2008

My plan is to do what Kubuntu is already doing. We'd have our wiki.xubuntu.*and
help.xubuntu.* subdomains that would have their own install of the
applicable software utilizing our own Xubuntu theme while using the same
database as Kubuntu and Ubuntu allowing us to prevent duplication. I think
that /might/ encourage people to contribute but considering there is nothing
stopping people from contributing now to the current wiki install via the
ubuntu domain, I wonder how much effect it'll have. You never know, maybe
it'll do the trick :)

For the record, I've already filed the requests with the powers that be but
now that there seems to be a visible interest in this I'll get on top of it
along with the new Xubuntu website.

Thanks,

Cody A.W. Somerville

On Jan 22, 2008 9:49 AM, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/01/2008, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > In thinking about the Xubuntu documentation lately, I was considering
> > how both Ubuntu and Kubuntu keep their official documentation up as part of
> > the Ubuntu.com and Kubuntu.com websites, respectively.  [1] & [2] I
> > would recommend this for Xubuntu as part of the setup of the updated
> > website.
>

> How do Ubuntu.com and Kubuntu.org do it? I assume they don't add them
> manually?
>
> Additionally, would we consider unofficial community docs (ala the Ubuntu
> > Community help pages [3])?  Such a section would invite participation from
> > Xubuntu bloggers and hackers (and hacker/bloggers) who are already writing
> > up these how-to's on their blogs.
>

> Sounds cool, would this be review-based or should bloggers be able to add
> their own guides?
>
> Contributions might include items like putting compiz-fusion on Xubuntu,
> > and other helpful tips.  These contributions may eventually wind up as part
> > of the official docs.
>

> Wow, I'd love a guide on setting up Compiz Fusion :P
>
> Anyway, I suppose we could also require a license on those posts? There is
> already a lot of Creative Commons material available, which could be used
> right away. However, since adding a guide to Xubuntu.org will also
> increase visibility of the blog of the original author I think it'd be fair
> enough to require all featured guides to be CC-licensed so we can be sure we
> avoid any legal problems.
>
> I expect some discussion about the community docs idea - I certainly
> > wouldn't want to duplicate material from the unofficial ubuntu docs' wiki
> > pages.  I hope that the official docs could be placed up as part of the
> > website, though.
> >
> > I invite your comments.  Thanks,
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/