Xubuntu documentation & the new website

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:49:52 UTC 2008

On 22/01/2008, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> In thinking about the Xubuntu documentation lately, I was considering how
> both Ubuntu and Kubuntu keep their official documentation up as part of the Ubuntu.com
> and Kubuntu.com websites, respectively.  [1] & [2] I would recommend this
> for Xubuntu as part of the setup of the updated website.

How do Ubuntu.com and Kubuntu.org do it? I assume they don't add them
manually?

Additionally, would we consider unofficial community docs (ala the Ubuntu
> Community help pages [3])?  Such a section would invite participation from
> Xubuntu bloggers and hackers (and hacker/bloggers) who are already writing
> up these how-to's on their blogs.

Sounds cool, would this be review-based or should bloggers be able to add
their own guides?

Contributions might include items like putting compiz-fusion on Xubuntu, and
> other helpful tips.  These contributions may eventually wind up as part of
> the official docs.

Wow, I'd love a guide on setting up Compiz Fusion :P

Anyway, I suppose we could also require a license on those posts? There is
already a lot of Creative Commons material available, which could be used
right away. However, since adding a guide to Xubuntu.org will also increase
visibility of the blog of the original author I think it'd be fair enough to
require all featured guides to be CC-licensed so we can be sure we avoid any
legal problems.

I expect some discussion about the community docs idea - I certainly
> wouldn't want to duplicate material from the unofficial ubuntu docs' wiki
> pages.  I hope that the official docs could be placed up as part of the
> website, though.
>
> I invite your comments.  Thanks,
>
> Jim
>
> [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/