Meeting

Jani Monoses jani at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 6 11:20:51 UTC 2008

Jérôme Guelfucci wrote:
> I've discussed this a bit with Lionel, everything highy depends on
> whether we are demoted to universe or not. If we are demoted to
> universe this opens a lot of possibilities: vlc, audacious... If we
> keep totem, I personnaly prefer totem-xine as it plays dvds correctly
> once libdvdcss2 is installed.
>
> vlc is not very intuitive, but it plays everything, is very light (I
> can feel the difference on my P2 450Mhz :) ) and its mozilla plugin is
> really good compared with the totem one, which almost never works for
> me. Moreover this would reduce our gnome-deps.

I am not sure the demotions to universe affect us too much. The ISO
images still cannot contain software with unclear legal status.
Where universe demotion helps is we do not have to MIR specific apps,
which used to be a slight bottleneck in the past.

I agree vlc is the most versatile player even though it's UI sucks.
Same for the DVD/xine thing you mention. To ease xine codecs
installation we'd need support form libxine which we do not have now.
This is why I think it is easier to use gstreamer for everything but DVD.

> Concerning Add/Remove... I think that an "Add/Remove Applications" in
> the Applications menu is the better choice.

Why do you think the way Ubuntu does it prominently is not good?