"Commonly Added Features" section in Xubuntu documentation.

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Feb 12 20:09:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 14:43 -0500, vidd wrote:
> Jim Campbell wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Given the ongoing back and forth regarding app choices, what would
> > people say to adding a section to Xubuntu documentation outlining
> > common ways to add more functionality to your Xubuntu system? We could
> > ship a default system that utilizes (most of, some of, all of . . . )
> > the more lightweight choices, but then provide detailed instructions
> > on how to add options that might provide the users with more features.
> >
> > We could include the advantages (functionality, additional ease of
> > use, etc.) and drawbacks (increased use of system resources, etc.) for
> > each choice. We would focus on only the items that have been under
> > consideration through these threads.
> >
> > The documentation could explain the rationale for why certain default
> > packages were shipped. Xubuntu bloggers could highlight these
> > additions to the documentation – and point users toward them in the
> > documentation.
> >
> > I know that part of the issue deals with maintaining the packages and
> > how often they receive updates (not just how light/heavy,
> > simple/complex something is), but this thought occurred to me, so I
> > thought I'd propose it to the group as a possible way to address some
> > of the issues.
> >
> > Jim
> > P.S. I'm not sure of the section title . . . it's just a proposal.
> Excellent idea
>
> vidd

Going back to Ubuntu 5.10, there used to be many notes in Synaptic
Package Manager explaining pros and cons of installing different
programs. It even stated why some apps were preferred over others, what
was not being maintained, gave suggestions for some over others, etc. I
did not realize this was not still being done.

I always thought that was the greatest way to find apps that worked, but
it also allowed the user to make choices based on information available.
As an example, take a look at gpgp, where the last paragraph states:
"Note that the upstream is not very active.  You may like another gnupg
frontend such as gpa or seahorse."

This, along with a note or two under the help menu, could really work.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz