"Commonly Added Features" section in Xubuntu documentation.

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:32:33 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Given the ongoing back and forth regarding app choices, what would people
say to adding a section to Xubuntu documentation outlining common ways to
add more functionality to your Xubuntu system?  We could ship a default
system that utilizes (most of, some of, all of . . . ) the more lightweight
choices, but then provide detailed instructions on how to add options that
might provide the users with more features.

We could include the advantages (functionality, additional ease of use,
etc.) and drawbacks (increased use of system resources, etc.) for each
choice.  We would focus on only the items that have been under consideration
through these threads.

The documentation could explain the rationale for why certain default
packages were shipped.  Xubuntu bloggers could highlight these additions to
the documentation – and point users toward them in the documentation.

I know that part of the issue deals with maintaining the packages and how
often they receive updates (not just how light/heavy, simple/complex
something is), but this thought occurred to me, so I thought I'd propose it
to the group as a possible way to address some of the issues.

Jim

P.S.  I'm not sure of the section title . . . it's just a proposal.