Usability - vrs- hardware requirements

Greg Richardson pressman57 at cox.net
Sat Feb 9 16:20:55 GMT 2008

Hi all.

I've been lurking around on the list for quite some time, through the
Gutsy cycle, and doing so has taught me a lot about how a distribution
is developed and maintained. Up until now I've kept quiet for fear of
making a fool of myself, but that fear has diminished of late, so here
goes...

When it comes to hardware I am a thrifty (cheap) consumer. When Yellow
Dog Linux abandoned the SCSI-based Macs a few years ago I finally had to
bite the bullet and buy a PC. I must have put on twenty different
flavors of Linux before I settled on Xubuntu. Here was finally something
stable and usable and fast that didn't demand I buy a new PC any time soon.

But , realistically, what is the life-span of a PC? Ten years? Five
years? You can buy  the computer I bought three years ago for
seventy-five dollars on e-bay, re-furbished, shipping included.  It
seems to me  that as Xubuntu  evolves  the  hardware required to run it
must evolve as well, and striking the balance between function and
system resources is difficult. But I believe if Xubuntu runs perfectly
on a computer that costs less than a hundred dollars (and probably will
for another five years, assuming the distribution survives) why worry
about it?

Xubuntu is a fine distribution and I'd like to contribute it's
development if I can figure out how.

Greg Richardson