gnome apps

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Fri Feb 1 20:54:12 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Friday 01 February 2008, Lionel Le Folgoc (mr_pouit) wrote:
> There are several people subscribed to this mailing list, they can all
> give their opinion about the choices we made on the seeds. If most of
> them think we should revert all these changes and put the seeds back to
> where they were in 7.10, of course we'll revert.

Are there other changes besides what Jani mentioned?

> But your opinion counts only for one vote, and so far, two people said
> that xubuntu gutsy was slower and heavier than the previous releases.

What things exactly were slower and heavier and what evidence you have that
these changes help for that (in general)?

For now these changes seem more like random breakage against existing
functionality & documentation... :-)

> So for the moment, the seeds are not going to change.
>
> I would be glad if as many people as possible on this list could give
> their opinion about the seeds[*], this way we could really call this an
> open development process...

You need to provide more information.

Slowness/heaviness could be split to several categories:

- System/desktop startup speed
  -> can be measured with a clock

- Application startup speed
  -> can be measured with "xresponse"
  -> can be analyzed with callgrind/kcachegrind

- Performance/responsiveness (first visible response to user input)
  -> can be measured with "xresponse"
  -> can be analyzed with "ltrace"

- Performance/general (how long things take to finish)
  -> can be measured with a clock or "xresponse"
  -> can be analyzed with oprofile/sysprof/callgrind

- Resource/memory usage (blocker for people with little memory)
  -> "Writable" and "X server" fields in gnome-system-monitor are
      the best measures for this
  -> can be analyzed with massif/valgrind

- Battery usage (most important for laptop users)
  -> Can be checked with "strace -p PID" on the given app to see whether
      it wakes up more often that at few sec interval.  Xresponse or Xephyr
      can be sometimes also useful

- Network usage (most important for thin client/remote users)
  -> screen updates of an application can be checked either with
      xresponse or running it under xserver-xephyr
  -> other kind of network activity can be checked with strace

And these should be weighted against features / their importance and
robustness / maturity of the software.  It's not just enough that an
application has a responsive developer, if it's not used in other
distributions/desktops (and found to be working well), it will be XFCE
users that "discover" these bugs. Often the bugs are not fixed until
the next release (in worst case 6 months later which from users' point
of view means that he says goodbye for that kind of a crappy distro).

So, what functionality was lost with your changes and what
non-/improvements there were from them (e.g. in above categories)?

	- Eero