Release candidate release notes

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Tue Oct 16 17:38:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Monday 15 October 2007, Vincent wrote:
> On 14/10/2007, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> The comment about dynticks and polling is more of a generic comment to
> > the dev-list of things to check.  It would be bad if Xubuntu would be
> > worse
> > than Ubuntu/Gnome desktop in regards to battery consumption now that
> > Linux kernel can actually save battery.  This battery saving happens
> > only *if* desktop / panel applets / applications don't explicitly try
> > to drain it (by polling).
>
> Oh OK. I tried to enter the commands you said into the terminal yesterday
> but then Xubuntu hung and I had to force a reboot.

Hm.  If you suspend strace while you're tracing a process, that process
is (naturally) also suspended.  If it's a process that that's required for
interacting with the system, you cannot interact with it anymore
(for tracing e.g. X server you need root rights).

That would be another reason why it's better to do this kind of things
from console or through ssh from another machine, not from terminal
window on desktop. :-/

	- Eero