Some thoughts about xubuntu hardy

vidd vidd at crosslink.net
Wed Nov 21 15:17:17 UTC 2007

jmak wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 7:28 PM, Radomir Dopieralski <xubuntu at sheep.art.pl> wrote:
>
>> Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:32:01AM -0500:
>>
>>> And anyway, text labels have secondary importance
>>> from the navigational point of view and as such, they are visual
>>> nuisances; you recognize the icons after their shape or color rather
>>> than after the text label.
>>>
>> The Apple guys were there already. It was a disaster, google for the
>> ten worst anoying usability problems with mac dock.
>>
>> The icons could be used as "main navigational clue" if only they werent
>> all identical. But they are. All the disk icons all identical. All the
>> documents icons (for documents of the same kind) are identical. The text
>> label is really the *primary* clue, and the icon only communicates the
>> document/object type/format, which is not nearly as important as its
>> identity.
>>

> What I said was that background labels are visual nuisances. I didn't
> say to do away with the labels; but that is undeniable that the harsh
> color of the backgrounds are ruining the overall look and feel of the
> desktop. The internet full of complains about them. And let face with
> it, the xfce way of implementing them is the crudest possible design
> solution. They are visible all the time. Unlike the other desktop
> solutions where they are visible only when you roll over the mouse on
> the icon. At the very minimum we have to lower their opacity, maybe
> 50%.

If we are going to radiacally change how the background labels look and
make them more transparent (so they blend in with the background image)
PLEASE include a method for the user to easily put it back! One of the
best things about the Xubuntu theme is that there is a blatently obvious
text label for the icons on the desktop. This makes it much easier for
those of us with weak eyes to read! I dont have to move my mouse over 15
identical icons to find that file i downloaded.

vidd