Some thoughts about xubuntu hardy

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 02:40:56 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 7:28 PM, Radomir Dopieralski <xubuntu at sheep.art.pl> wrote:
> Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:32:01AM -0500:
> > And anyway, text labels have secondary importance
> > from the navigational point of view and as such, they are visual
> > nuisances; you recognize the icons after their shape or color rather
> > than after the text label.
>
> The Apple guys were there already. It was a disaster, google for the
> ten worst anoying usability problems with mac dock.
>
> The icons could be used as "main navigational clue" if only they werent
> all identical. But they are. All the disk icons all identical. All the
> documents icons (for documents of the same kind) are identical. The text
> label is really the *primary* clue, and the icon only communicates the
> document/object type/format, which is not nearly as important as its
> identity.

What I said was that background labels are visual nuisances. I didn't
say to do away with the labels; but that is undeniable that the harsh
color of the backgrounds are ruining the overall look and feel of the
desktop. The internet full of complains about them. And let face with
it, the xfce way of implementing them is the crudest possible design
solution. They are visible all the time. Unlike the other desktop
solutions where they are visible only when you roll over the mouse on
the icon. At the very minimum we have to lower their opacity, maybe
50%.

--
http://jozmak.blogspot.com/