Some thoughts about xubuntu hardy

Ghostvirus theghostvirus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 21:22:21 GMT 2007

Hi all,

Just a few suggestions:

1. Making the panels smaller is a good idea. 28 pixels at most is a good
size. You could get away with even less quite easily, too.

2. I'm not a fan of the GNOME-like 2 panels setup Xubuntu has (I prefer 1
panel on the bottom), but I'd prefer keeping it rather than making any
radical changes. The whole justification for using the GNOME-like setup was
to make it easier for users to go between Xubuntu and regular Ubuntu, wasn't
it? So why change it now?

3. I'm not sure I understand the obsession with the nuoveXT icon theme. It's
nowhere near as extensive as Tango, and AFAIK, it hasn't been updated to
conform to the FreeDesktop.org naming specs because it's no longer
maintained. The author of the set did make a new theme called nuoveXT2, but
in my opinion they both look far too Vista-like to begin with. If Xubuntu no
longer wants to use Tango as its default icon theme, I'd recommend the
CrashBit icons which look a little like Tango, but more "shiny."

4. The Murrina-Storm theme used in 7.10 is bland. I know Murrina is a quick
and light engine, but the theme itself is ugly. If Xubuntu is going to
continue using Murrina as its default theme engine, I'd recommend something
more colorful.

5. While we're talking about themes, what about Xubuntu's color scheme? Is
it still the blue/gray used since 6.06? Or is there interest in changing it?

That's all for now. Just some observations from a regular user. No offense
intended.

Ghostvirus