Claws-Mail in Xubuntu

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Sun Jan 7 18:28:36 UTC 2007

On 07 January 2007 at 17h01, Gauvain Pocentek wrote:

Hi,

> 1. we already had this discussion (for dapper and edgy), and it seems
> that (for the moment) TBird, even if it's a bigger app, provides more
> features and is more stable

I wasn't aware of that :)

> 2. who will maintain the package, ie. fix the bugs, deal with
> updates... ?
> 3. claws will need to be promoted in main, and with it 3
> other source packages. Who will maintain them? And an ubuntu policy
> is to avoid duplication of apps in main. We already have evolution
> and thunderbird. I doubt that the distro team will be OK to promote a
> new GTK mail client.

I don't know. I think my job as an upstream developer would be more
related to fixing bugs and listening to features request; I'm not sure
I'd have the time to dive into package maintainance and distro politics.

> 4. I didn't find an easy way to import my TBird
> mailboxes/settings. I don't want to set everything again (filters,
> folders and such).

There's no easy way. From my point of view, eveloping importers would be
great, but it's low priority due to the fact it would require lots of
maintainance and work to follow with third-party applications we have
no control over, and the fact that providing real features that help
with day-to-day email handling is more important :)

> 5. last time I tried claws, it wasn't possible to
> keep the mails on the mail server. This is a blocker, for me at least.

Must have been a long time. It was already there when I started on the
Claws team in 2002...
--
Colin