Poll for GNOME dependencies

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:17:09 UTC 2007

Giuseppe Torelli wrote:
> On 8/10/07, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see it as a Yes/No question but more as a likert-type scale
>> question: 1-10 with 1 being very lightweight and slim on features and 10
>> being heavy on system resources but being fully featured.
>
> I see it in a matter of replacing the actual apps which uses gnome
> libs. Are there only two developers? Let's call for others. In the
> meantime let's begin replacing the gnome APIS with the gtk ones. The
> time is short? Gutsy is coming? Let's ship Xubuntu Gutsy while the
> coding of replacing the actual apps is being accomplished.

Duplication of efforts and mindless rewriting of things from scratch is among the last
things the floss community needs IMO.

I agree if it's about novel _ideas_ which further the user experience. Rewriting
 and copy-catting existing things sucks. That's why we have so many broken and unmaintained cd burners,
archivers, mail clients, media players and the list could go on.

Every developer believes he can change the world and do it right this time and ignore previous
work, but very few succeed.

This is not the 90's when almost everything that was free software was good quality and actually needed.
Now everyone writing a free app feels the necessity to release it upon the world just because he can
forgetting the responsibility that comes with it. 'It's free' does not instantly make it good.
It causes maintenance problems in the long term and user confusion.

Stop this rewriting everything nonsense. It's great for fun and learning but for little else.

Jani