GNOME dependencies

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:01:52 UTC 2007

>> Lionel what do you think of this whole issue?
>
> Brasero comes with libgnome, libgnomeui, libgnome-keyring,
> libgnome-canvas, libnautilus-burn, libtotem-plparser, gstreamer0.10.

keyring and canvas we have always used, but those are small and ok.
nautilus-burn and the gstreamer stack would be a problem indeed.

> Then let's replace xarchiver with file-roller, gxine with totem (we
> added one libgnome dependent app, so one more won't hurt...), gqview
> with gthumb, and eventually, abiword/gnumeric with openoffice!

I know you're exagerrating and are a bit sarcastic but somewhere half way
between now and what you describe here could be a better place to stand than now.

> Xubuntu is going to be as heavy as gnome, and 80% identical to Ubuntu,
> so what's the point of keeping building isos? People who really want to
> use xfce will install it with synaptic after a standard Ubuntu installation.

not necessarily. Edubuntu is closer to ubuntu that xubuntu would be with these changes.
The new gobuntu, ubuntu-studio and myth-buntu - all in the repos, are closer as well
(although not all have official ISOs from canonical)

The liveCD and regular desktop footprint does not change that much.

Lionel, do you use xfburn and xarchiver regularly?

Jani