Xhelp code on launchpad ready

Giuseppe Torelli colossus73 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:12:23 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree it would be nice to have search and similar extras that a browser does not have.
> But I still think using the default web browser is better for the following reasons
>
> 1) Resource consumption : if the browser is too heavy to read the help it is probably too heavy to
> use it to browse the web. I am not sure how many Xubuntu desktops are not using a web browser.

Please guys, let's take an agreement. I don't want to waste my time in
developing an application that will never be included because there is
already a web browser in Xubuntu!! From now on I will not code a
single line of code for Xhelp until we come to a  conclusion.

> 2) Consistency: the Xfce docs have links to external http URLs.  What happens with those if the user
> follows them? Launch the web browser or render those sites poorly (I am pretty sure CSS and JS won't
> be supported by Xhelp)?

If libgtkhtml2 supports them, Xhelp will support them too but I think
the best way will be to launch the default web browser for this.

> So I think the efforts would be much better spent on completing the Xubuntu desktop guide and the Xfce docs
> than writing an app to show incomplete docs.

Colossus
Xarchiver, a Linux GTK+2 only archive manager - http://xarchiver.xfce.org