Efficient Coding Strategy for Desktop Environment Development

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 21:29:42 UTC 2006

I really like the idea of this, I think it has alot of the same concepts of
the Linux Standard Base http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base in
terms of portability, but I don't think a universal package type would be
probable or practical. I do like the idea of writing a "controller" program
that does all the functions needed by a service and then allows each
community to simply code the "view" of each to tend to their project by
calling functions/methods or by passing the controller commands.... a good
resource on this would be the model-view-controller design pattern
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-view-controller

-Adam

On 11/12/06, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:

> Op zondag 12-11-2006 om 16:33 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Jelle de
> Jong:
> > My vision is to create a widget system that is universal for all GUI
> > systems. So a gnome application could be ported to trolltec or GTK
> > etcetera.
>
> Well, it should be possible to write a Qt-backend for e.g. wxWidgets...
>
> Don't ever expect such a widget system to look good on all systems
> though.  Most likely it will look somehow out-of-place on *all* OSs &
> desktops (like wxWidgets does...).
>

> --
> Jan Claeys

-=:Max:=-