Multimedia plans for Edgy

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 14:17:31 UTC 2006

> Gauvain Pocentek wrote:
> > 1. Is it reasonable to include gstreamer in xubuntu?
>
> It has been stated in a couple places (#xubuntu and #bmpx on FN come to
> mind immediately) that GSt more or less is "the way of future", and I
> tend to agree. The fact that two major desktop environments (GNOME and
> KDE) have moved to this backend ensures healthy, active development and

One argument I read from the xfmedia author in  favour of libxine (besides
its maturity) is that
its license makes using it in DRM enabled apps impossible, unlike gstreamer.
This debate is not xubuntu specific and I can't really say more about it
just I thought I'd mention it.

maintenance, so it is certainly reasonable and perhaps preferable to
> include GSt by default in Xubuntu Edgy. On the other hand, Xine-lib
> isn't to be discounted just because of this momentum.

AFAIK kubuntu 6.06 still uses xine? For KDE 4 it's true, they'll use
gstreamer.

In the short term, I propose we shuffle xfmedia to universe and replace
> it with Gxine in main. Darren Salt (upstream) has been extremely helpful
> and is quite responsive in helping the MOTUMedia team get the packages
> into shape for Ubuntu{,Dapper}.

I use gxine as well and would have preferred it for dapper as well, but they
multimedia discussion
were never too active, and gxine has more dependencies which would have been
needed in main
- crazy stuff like javascript interpreter to use when controlled over lirc
:) and I felt it was too late in the cycle
to push for more stuff in main.

I agree with going gxine though. At least it plays CDs and did not hang here
with movies AFAIR.

Jani