Xubuntu splash

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 21:09:12 UTC 2006

On 7/23/06, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 13:40, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > > I also prefer version 3, but I like to be awkward: would it be possible
> > > to get the mouse from version 1 or 2 in version 3? I don't like the
> > > lower part of the mouse being grey.
>
> Hm. I think the main problem with this is that the color looks a bit
> like shading for the image but it's not, it doesn't follow the shape
> of the mouse.
>
> I actually would like single color shading on the mouse, a bit like in
> posters (or cartoons).  Attached script can be used as an example in
> reducing natural images (photographs or ray-traced images) to a few
> colours.  To get the result look good, you might need to fiddle with the
> number of colors it reduces the image into, and have large enough source
> image to start with.
>
> Btw. I think Autotrace (used by the script) makes a much better job of this
> than e.g. Gimp because it converts the image to actual vector representation
> instead of just removing colors & dithering like image editors do.

Thanks for the input to everyone. I took a good note of them. I am
still fine-tuning the artworks and they still may change during the
course. On the art-ubuntu mailing list someone suggested to make a
combination of splash version 1 and 2. I've just uploaded it to the
usual place. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/XubuntuEdgy/Proposals

J. Mak

--
http://jozmak.googlepages.com/