update_4

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 17:58:34 UTC 2006

> Let me tell you that a lot of great ideas has been flying around in
> the edgy artwork discussions. Mr Soutleworth is pushing for a very
> fancy glassy, even baroque look for ubuntu in edgy. The same thing has
> been happening in the kde community.
> Here is a sneak peak of kde ideas they are working on.
>
> http://bootsplash.org/kdm-edgy.png
>
> http://bootsplash.org/kdm-edgy1.png

I did not follow the ubuntu-artwork discussions too closely but was
the idea not that
Human stays and is refined for edgy, and four _additional_ but not
default themes are made by the community, for which the glassy you
linked to is one proposal?

> I agree with Vincent, why do you want to keep the same style of logo
> for eternity? Things are changing, ideas are changing, times are
> changing and the components too have to change accordingly. Nothing is
> carved in stones.

I agree with chosing new artwork if it's better liked by the majority
of those who express their view, but not just for change's sake. Times
are changing but I am
not sure it's a good idea to change the look of the desktop every six months.
There is definitely an excess of creativity and lot more good work is done that
can fit in an install, that's why I think good stuff still should be shipped but
we need to be careful with the defaults.

As for chaning I think logos are the things which need to change the
least, if at all.
It's ok for wallpapers or color schemes but logos should not change too much.

> I completely, disagree with the approach that we should keep xubuntu
> as a second or third rate, boring operating system. Look at the

I don't think xubuntu is boring now, and if it is to some there could
be less intrusive ways to explore, than making it have 3d looks (as an
example).

> visuals of the major distros (fedora, suse, xandros and so on). Why do
> you want to make xubuntu look like a leftover from 70ths and 80ths.
> I, personally, took Mr Shoutleworth's idea seriously. Here is a
> reminder "My only requirement is that they (the distros) ALL be
> consistently world class (looking DAMN good)"

Agreed. That's why the artwork and the logo you proposed is to be
judged based on
how much it is liked, and so far people have expressed why they do or
do not like it.
With the mention that changing because things have to change is not a
good argument IMHO for the 3d logo or any other artwork.

> But if the goal is to create an edgy look that in terms of visuals not
> even measure up to windows 98, then I have to ask myself that what I
> am doing here.

As I see it, trying to get xubuntu look very nice, the decision being
based on user feedback too ;)

> Anyhow, if the majority on this mailing list think that what I am
> doing is completely off track, please let me know because then I don't
> waist my time and energy neither in this nor on the splash animation.

The majority of the list have not spoken yet, and I am sure none of us
likes spending
effort and free time on something which does not get used or that gets
bad feedback.  I personally appreciate your doing this and being the
only one who constantly works on xubuntu artwork, but please note that
the result must please the majority of users not just a few, even if
the few include the main artist.

Jani