update_4

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 17:29:03 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Luzi Thoeny <lucius.antonius at gmail.com> wrote:
> jmak wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here there are two more versions of the logo.
> >
> > Chrome:
> >
> > http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9778/greeterchrome3sp.png
> >
> > Marble:
> >
> > http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/4205/greetermarble2wt.png
> >
> > J. Mak
>
> I would personally prefer to stay with the previous logo. i don't think
> the logo should change for every release, but should rather stay the
> same - so that people can get used to it and recognize it. Neither
> Ubuntu nor Kubuntu have changed their logos, as far as I  know.
>
> We had a pretty long discussion about the logo, and I think it's good we
> settled on one, so why not just stay with it?

Let me tell you that a lot of great ideas has been flying around in
the edgy artwork discussions. Mr Soutleworth is pushing for a very
fancy glassy, even baroque look for ubuntu in edgy. The same thing has
been happening in the kde community.
Here is a sneak peak of kde ideas they are working on.

http://bootsplash.org/kdm-edgy.png

http://bootsplash.org/kdm-edgy1.png

Here are some of the ubuntu ideas, in terms of textures

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/EdgyTextures
(notice the gloss on the logo, which is just a rough sketch, they are
still working out the technique)

In terms of the logo, I know that the ubuntu artist, are thinking
about a shiny glassy look, though nothing fixed yet. In fact, they
even want the usplash to be glossy. But in all probability, they move
in that direction because Mr Shoutleworth like these effects.
I agree with Vincent, why do you want to keep the same style of logo
for eternity? Things are changing, ideas are changing, times are
changing and the components too have to change accordingly. Nothing is
carved in stones.
I completely, disagree with the approach that we should keep xubuntu
as a second or third rate, boring operating system. Look at the
visuals of the major distros (fedora, suse, xandros and so on). Why do
you want to make xubuntu look like a leftover from 70ths and 80ths.
I, personally, took Mr Shoutleworth's idea seriously. Here is a
reminder "My only requirement is that they (the distros) ALL be
consistently world class (looking DAMN good)"

But if the goal is to create an edgy look that in terms of visuals not
even measure up to windows 98, then I have to ask myself that what I
am doing here.

Anyhow, if the majority on this mailing list think that what I am
doing is completely off track, please let me know because then I don't
waist my time and energy neither in this nor on the splash animation.

J. Mak
--
http://jozmak.googlepages.com/