sylpheed-claws in xubuntu-desktop

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Mon Feb 20 14:06:27 UTC 2006

On 20 Feb 2006 at 15h02, Jani Monoses wrote:

Hi,

> As for claws: is it more stable and does it have a better security
> history than vanilla sylpheed?

Up to now, we've had the same security issues, about three little ones.
You can see them on http://secunia.com/search/?search=sylpheed
(Some of them are incorrectly labelled "From remote", for example the
LDIF importer one). Sylpheed-Claws is far from being the "Bleeding edge
branch of Sylpheed" of the old days, it's rock-stable now ;-)

> these are the two main issues in chosing one or the other, assuming
> they are about the same as far as resource consumption is concerned.

Yes, they are. Sylpheed-Claws is more versatile than plain Sylpheed,
with a few extra features like plugins, better IMAP implementation,
PGP/Inline support, and a bunch of other goodies.
You can see most of them on http://claws.sylpheed.org/features.php
(this page would need cleaning-up, though, there are little details
that clutter the list).

--
Colin