xfce4 svn snapshot

Colin McDermott colmcd at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 2 23:22:38 UTC 2006

daniele favara wrote:
> On 1/31/06, Juan Jose Pablos <juanjo at apertus.es> wrote:
>
>> Colin McDermott wrote:
>>
>>> Which is why I am such an advocate for rox-filer. There seems to be an
>>> assumption that users want everything to pop up in front of them when it
>>> is plugged in. Perhaps they do....(though this can create
>>> confusion)..But I think the main thing that users want is quick ways to
>>> get around from /home (or their hd/files) to /media (or their cdroms)
>>> and to look at an uncomplicated interface. Rox-filer does this well.
>>>
>> I agree about the need of a quick way to get to /media. My only issue
>> with rox-file is the use of ctrl+x to delete files. supr seems more
>> natural today.
>>

> from what you're saying it seems the perfect file manager is thunar
> even for you ...

Okay how would users mount a floppy disk?

> on the letf side pane:
>
> | - home
> | - file system
> |-----
> | -  bookmark 1
> | -  bookmark 2
> | -  ....
>
> the user can get guickly /media, for example when a new device has
> been attached the volume manager :
>
> echo "file:///mount/point" >> $HOME/.gtk-bookmarks
>
> in this way the user can easly browse all the rw dir.

Also once Items are AUTOMOUNTED how do they get unmounted (In ubuntu you
right click on the desktop icon *Very difficuld on a Mac* and select
unmount?) Where in Thunar do you click to unmount a volume? Please think
about this as Automounters tend to be most frustrating to users when
they don't realise that a volume has been mounted and they do not know
how to unmount. With Rox you click into a directory in /mount and you
unmount it when you close the directory or exit out of it (or via right
clicking on the icon).

--
Colin McDermott
Reboot Computer Reuse centre