problem with XKB in xubuntu

Foxy foxy at on-the-hill.me.uk
Thu Aug 10 15:59:13 UTC 2006

I have a strange problem with xfce. I am trying to make keyboard
switcher work and so far no avail. The problem seems to be with xkb
though I am not sure.

The thing is if I log into Gnome I have the following:

> ~$ xprop -root | grep XKB _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "base", "pc101",
> "gb,ru", ",winkeys", "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "base", "pc101", "us", "", ""

So I can for example do:

> ~$ setxkbmap -layout 'gb,ru(winkeys)' -option "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"

to set my keyboard layouts manually. However, if I try the same thing in
xfce session, I've got the following
> xprop -root | grep XKB
gives me nothing and

> :~$ setxkbmap -layout 'gb,ru(winkeys)' -option "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
> Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
> Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
> Segmentation fault

It looks like Gnome loads something that xfce does not or my xfce
installation is screwed up in some way. Also if I log into xfce after
logging into Gnome, everything works fine.

Please note that I am using XGL/Compiz with NVidia card. This problem
does not exists with plain Xorg.

Any help would be appreciated.