Gdm greeter

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 17:37:20 UTC 2006

On 26/04/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would NOT recommend u sing the background for both . I've never even
> > heard this kind of solution ever. This would go against the purpose what we
> > are aiming at here. Would destroy visual consistency. Because the idea is to
> > create a
> >

> It was just a proposal. But I don't see how it would destroy visual
> consistency. Is it not unified if you do not have two different whole
> desktop redraws in an interval of 10 seconds?
>
> unified and attractive look and feel for xubuntu. If the gdm size is still
> > a problem, I would rather recommend reducing its dimensions to 1024x678.
> > This would significantly reduce its size as well.
> > I gonna do a smaller version of it and upload it to the usual place. If
> > it's ok.
> >

> Sure the size I'd still prefer to be smaller. What I was thinking, and
> where I got the idea of using the same background is this: we have a good
> looking wallpaper in 240Kb. Why does another background need to be 900Kb to
> be good looking?
> Let's forget about gdm and xfdesktop. To the user it is an image on the
> screen, it should not matter if one is used at login the other in the rest.
> So I was thinking what if we just had a login dialog over the wallpaper
> and after you typed it in the dialog disappears and you're on the desktop
> already?

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, but  it seems to me as a
problem, as I have four different accounts on my computer with four
different backgrounds, so there would be none to already load...

The gdm/splash/wallpaper separation is artificial because the thing boots
> slowly not because the a user expects a computer to show various artwork
> while it starts in the name of visual consistency or whatever else :)
>
> Jani

Vincent

http://getfirefox.com