GDM theme and icons.

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 18:48:26 UTC 2005

Hi Trevor,

I expect someone's already done this, but I saw the login screen concept on
> the wiki and made a GDM theme out of it, if anyone's interested. It's based
> on the default Ubuntu theme, with icons taken from a Xubuntu GDM theme
> available on xfce-look.org. If you want, you can download it from
> http://activist-news.co.uk/gdm.tar Let me know if you improve it at all, I
> feel it could do with different icons, and maybe fiddle with the text
> colours a bit more, but I don't have time right now.

thanks. Hopefully the artists  around will take a look :)

Secondly, I was wondering if any work has been done on deciding on an icon
> set for Xubuntu? At the moment it seems to be a mishmash of icons that don't
> really have a consistent look and feel, although this is probably a "fault"
> of Xfce rather than Xubuntu. Does anyone know how well Xfce works with a
> Tango! compliant iconset? I couldn't find any info on the net, and what I
> have read doesn't look too promising, but if it's possible it would be nice
> to have Xubuntu using Tango! compliant themes, and maybe even the Tango!
> default set, as I personally feel they fit quite well into Xfce, and GTK in
> general.

Isn't tango too young yet to bet on it for next release? Let's see first if
it's good enough for ubuntu-gnome.
The icon theme, as most of the artwork has not yet been decided on yet. It
hasn't been talked about actually, we just went with whatever we had. The
amount of gtk-engines, xfce window themes and icon themes to chose from is
overwhelming and I am really not qualified to decide on which would be best
for xubuntu. I'd be inclined to stick close to ubuntu-gnome in looks - not
to be confused with it but not too far either. However that's just a
personal preference.

Jani