[Merge] lp:~ted/upstart/dbus-arguments into lp:upstart

James Hunt james.hunt at canonical.com
Mon Jul 8 15:33:30 UTC 2013

This looks good. A few comments:

- It needs an update to extra/man/dbus-event.7 to explain the ARG%d string arguments.

- I think that we should consider supporting all non-aggregate basic types (except maybe BYTE) since types such as BOOLEAN and the numerics could be equally useful.

- Since we've already released upstart 1.9 including the upstart-dbus-bridge, we need to think about how to handle/break/deprecate the existing 'dbus' event. Allowing the event name to be configurable (lp:~ted/upstart/dbus-configure-event) may be the best way to do it I guess, although the ideal would be to able to support:

  dbus BUS=system SIGNAL=...
  dbus BUS=session SIGNAL=...
  dbus BUS=unix:abstract=/com/ubuntu/upstart-session/1000/2536 SIGNAL=...

... rather than:

  dbus-system SIGNAL=...
  dbus-session SIGNAL=...
  dbus-???? SIGNAL=...

However, if we just switched to that, we'd break any jobs that specify positional values in conditions like 'start on dbus NameAcquired SENDER=...'.

It would lead to slightly more verbose job conditions, but maybe we could change the event to 'message-bug' or similar?:

  message-bus TYPE=dbus BUS=system SIGNAL=...

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~ted/upstart/dbus-arguments/+merge/172385
Your team Upstart Reviewers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~ted/upstart/dbus-arguments into lp:upstart.