Using upstart on LFS

Jeffrey Peckham abic at ophymx.com
Mon Jul 19 14:41:53 BST 2010

I tried doing something similar with an LFS build a few months ago. My
tactic was to just go through all the init scripts provided by LFS and
rewriting them as upstart jobs. Most of them can translate pretty cleanly
but I started running into trouble figuring out a clean and flexible suite
of networking jobs. I tried breaking out each layer of the OSI model, that
applied, as a different set of jobs. Probably too esoteric and complex of a
solution.

This might just be a lack of good hard researching / understanding on my
part but I feel like early network setup (pre-NetworkManager) is something
ever distro does differently and there hasn't really been a good clean
solution to define, manage and monitor it.

Let me know what you come up with in that area.

~Jeff