[ANNOUNCE] upstart 0.5.2 released

Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) sarvi at cisco.com
Thu Jun 18 00:25:19 BST 2009

This is not FUD and did not mean it that way either. This is what I have
heard from some licensing lawyers relating to usage of GPLv3 software
while working on my own startup. And I have heard this same concern from
friends in other companies as well.
The specific concern I have heard as quoted to me is relating to
language in GPLv3 relating to 'intimate data communication' with GPLv3
communication.

If you had standalone tools/command or utility programs that don't talk
to each other, I suspect it would have been ok.

Upstart is one of those applications that everyone in the system needs
to communicate via D-Bus messaging where the Message API is defined by a
GPLv3 application in this case Upstart.
Not sure if it qualifies as 'intimate data communication'
"For example, Corresponding Source includes interface definition files
associated with source files for the work, and the source code for
shared libraries and dynamically linked subprograms that the work is
specifically designed to require, such as by intimate data communication
or control flow between those subprograms and other parts of the work."

What I gave you was my own initial reaction based on what I have heard.
Will need to discuss this further before I can draw a conclusion. But do
think about the GPLv3 quote mentioned above.

BTW, when I said people might go off and do their own
replacement/branch-off it would be still be Open source since its
started from the Upstart pedigree. So I don't see how that would be free
riding, since GPLv2 would still require them to publish their changes as
well. Just because some one does not like GPLv3 does not make them free
riders. :-))
And since we have committed resources to both development and testing of
Upstart and have been working this community for close to a year now. I
presume you weren't refering to us ;-))

Anyway, lets see what the legal heads think about this issue. Do keep us
posted.

Sarvi